Vegetable Produce Nearby - Store Deals & Specials
Vegetable Grocery Sales Near You
Interesting Facts on Vegetables
Fruits and vegetables are an important part of a balanced and nutritious diet. Most vegetables are low in fat, calories, and carbohydrates, while offering vitamins, minerals, and high fiber. Antioxidants in vegetables also help reduce the risks of cancer, strokes, cardiovascular diseases, and serious illnesses.Overall, the nutritional content of vegetables is very diverse. In general, vegetables or "veggies" contain small traces of fat and decent amounts of plant-based proteins. Research shows that a diet heavy in organic vegetables offers the most essential path toward longevity and overall health.
Vegetables can be eaten raw or cooked, with a recommended goal of five or more portions a day.
How to Find and Buy Affordable Vegetables
When looking to save money on fresh fruits and vegetables, it’s important to know their growing season. Vegetable varieties are more expensive at different times because, naturally, not all vegetables grow year-round. When fresh vegetables have to be shipped in from various locations around the world, imagine the costs of all that travel, all that packaging. The price of the products reflects this.
Tip: Always know the growing season of your (organic) vegetables.
Try to buy in season to get the best prices.
Alternately, opt for frozen vegetables—which actually contain the same nutritious value of their fresh counterparts. Frozen vegetables can be added to dishes like vegetable soup, grilled vegetables, steamed vegetables, vegetable dip, and countless other meals.
Tip: Opt for frozen vegetables! They’re often cheaper and can be bought in greater bulk.
A Vegetable List With Nutrition Facts
|Vegetable Name||Calories (100g)||Carbs (100g)||Protein (100g)||Fat (100g)|
Most Popular Vegetables in America
Below you'll find a list of the most-consumed vegetables in America, based on the availability of the fresh vegetables in pounds per capita.
|Vegetable Name||Availability in Pounds per capita|
Most Popular Vegetable Dishes In America
Easy vegetable dishes are quite wonderful and a part of any healthy, substantial diet. See below for examples of some American favorites.
- Ratatouille: a French vegetable stew, usually featuring tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, zucchinis, and onions. Garlic and plenty of herbs make this an interesting winter stew—a filling staple.
- Sweet potato pie: the American South’s staple, the sweet potato pie, is often classified as a dessert. The large tart is made with sugar, milk, eggs, and sweet potatoes, and is one of those dishes passed down from mothers, grandmothers, great-grandmothers—on into the 18th century.
- Vegetable soup: made with everything from broccoli to cabbage to whatever-mom-grows in the garden. Vegetable soupdsare essential to get through the heavy American winters or the worst sick days of your life. They’re soul warming, fueling you with nutrients and strength for the days ahead.
- Broccoli slaw: is a convenient alternative to coleslaw (another BBQ favorite) and is revving with carrots, broccoli, and red cabbage. Find it often in the south and occasionally "dressed up" with peanuts, raisins, and a sweeter mayonnaise.
- Vegetarian Chili: pulsing with a variety of vegetables and beans paired with a rich tomato sauce. Often, vegetarians turn to vegetarian chili for much-needed protein—for food that "sticks to their bones" in the winter months. Try using different types of beans, a combination of different beans. You can also attempt to do a white chili with navy beans, or a darker one using black or pinto beans.
- Roasted Vegetables: oven roasted vegetables, a wintertime favorite, often feature potatoes, butternut squash, red onions, beets, garlic, and a drizzling of olive oil. Be sure to season it with salt and pepper to taste. Although it takes some time to roast vegetables, the preparation is easy. All you need to do after drizzling the olive oil is place it in the oven and wait!
- Steamed Vegetables: cooking vegetables with steam is one of the easiest and fastest ways to ensure a healthy diet. Steaming vegetables helps them retain the most nutrients (compared to roasting or boiling). Note that every vegetable has a different steaming time. Carrots and potatoes can take anywhere from 10-20 minutes but peas and spinach are done in under 3 minutes.
- Vegetable juice: hyou can drink your vegetables too! You can make vegetable juice at home with a juicer and the mixtures are endless. Vegetable juice is versatile and extremely healthy -- perfect for a special diet and detox.
- Green bean casserole: a classic comfort food, the green bean casserole is a quick and easy vegetable dish. Made with mushroom soup,green beans, onion rings, and spcieal seasonings, it a regular on the Thanksgiving table.